Thursday, August 6, 2015

5 Key Ways to Slow the Aging Process

Most of us have been conditioned to believe that we are “over the hill” after we turn 40, and that we might as well learn to live with low energy, weight gain, aches and pains, and declining health as a normal part of midlife aging.

But, if you are anything like me, you don’t want midlife to keep you from living your life to its fullest, and I am here to tell you that you don’t have to  believe what you were told about aging, or succumb to the above common scenario of premature aging.

Aging, or more importantly "staying young" in many ways is a state of mind; as our true age (our functional age) really doesn't have to correspond with our chronological age. 

So, what is aging exactly? Aging, the breakdown of our cells and body tissues really starts in our 20’s, but can speed up as we hit middle age. (Ages 40-65) Essentially, aging occurs when our body ceases to repair itself.

Fortunately though, there is solid scientific evidence that proves that we can control the rate at which we age.  

There are numerous studies that reveal that people who had a positive attitude about aging, and who took a preventative approach to their health were inclined to be healthier, lived longer, and were able to postpone end-of-life debilitating diseases to a far later date.

On the other hand, we can also unwittingly accelerate our aging if we don’t know what factors can cause premature aging and disease.

So How Well Are You Aging? Take the Test 

Adapted from the Longevity Prescription by Robert Butler. Place a check mark on all current positive nutrition/lifestyle habits and routines. Then count them up.
__ I consume 5 to 10 servings of vegetables daily (leafy and crunchy) 
__ I consume 2-3 servings of fruit daily, (especially berries) 
__ I eat unprocessed fiber-rich starches, such as whole grains, beans,  root/tuber veggies daily
__ I drink at least 8 cups of purified water-based drinks. (Not coffee)
__ I exercise at least 3 times a week. I don’t sit for prolonged periods.
__ I have good digestion. I don’t often experience gas, belching, heartburn, constipation or diarrhea.
__ I am not overweight.
__ I avoid known toxins such as pesticide/chemical laden foods & personal care/household products.
__ I do not smoke.
__ I drink alcohol in moderation. One 1 1/2 oz. drink for a woman or 2 drinks for a man daily.
__ I sleep 7-9 hours per night.
__ I am in a partnership with someone I love, trust, and respect, and share physical intimacies.
__ I am in regular and satisfying contact with children, siblings, and extended family.
__ I maintain active loving friendships, and interact with a wide range of people.
__ I have adequate emotional support
__ I am neither depressed, nor prone to prolonged anxiety.
__ I don’t obsessively relive unhappy times in the past. I have a hopeful attitude.
__ I continue to challenge myself to learn new things.
__ I regularly do something that stretches my mental muscles. (Crossword puzzles, Sudoku, games)
__ I find simple joys in my life that lift my spirit and laugh a good deal.
__ I have stress reduction strategies that I use to reduce anxiety or pressure.
__ I do not harbor old grievances. I accept life’s losses and look to new challenges.
__ I don’t work more than 10 hours on a workday day on a consistent basis.
__ I spend time enjoying a creative hobby or art form.
______ Total Checks/Answer Key: 19 or more checks indicate that you are living a longevity-                          promoting and healthy aging lifestyle.

So How did you do? If you scored well-good for you. If you didn't score well, don't lose heart, the earlier you take the time to reassess your lifestyle and make significant changes, the better your midlife, and senior years will be.  

It's not too late to make major shifts in your health, or to reverse premature age-related declines. 
Declining health and energy levels actually can be a “wake-up-call,” motivating you to take charge of your health and well-being. 

Your body wants to be whole and healthy, and if you give it the opportunity it can begin to come into balance. 

In the upcoming blog posts I will be addressing the 5 Key Health Areas that need to be optimized to achieve a long “health span,” as opposed to simply achieving a long lifespan

Enjoying a long vital “health span” also known as “compression of morbidity is the result of delaying degeneration and chronic illness until as late in life as possible, due to a health-promoting lifestyle.

So what are the 5 Key Areas that we need to optimize to slow the aging process, and prevent disease?
  1. Optimize your gut health.
  2. Optimize your mindset/stress reduction and sleep
  3. Optimize your nutrition
  4. Optimize toxin elimination and reduce toxic exposures
  5. Optimize physical activity and exercise
The foundation for health lies in your gut; and surprisingly symptoms of poor gut functioning can effect distant areas of your body like your brain functioning, mood, joints, bones, and immunity; even your skin. 

In my next post I will be talking about how to optimize your gut health, and I'll supply a quiz to help you determine how your own gut health is fairing. 

To Your Vibrant Health,
Linda

Disclaimer: The information provided in this blog is intended for informational purposes, and is not meant to substitute or conflict with the advice from your physician. It is also not meant for pregnant or nursing women. Do not use this information for diagnosis or treatment of any health problems. Please consult with your physician before attempting any practices in this blog.  Information in this blog is general and to the best of my knowledge is true and complete, and is offered with no guarantees on the part of the author. The author disclaims all liability in connection with the use of this blog.
If you find this post helpful, please share it with your friends and family.

 

a

No comments:

Post a Comment